Using pay per click advertising is one of the most efficient and effective ways to drive targeted traffic to your website or landing page. It works much faster than other marketing channels, though you will have to make an investment. However, the cost of PPC is smaller compared to other advertising channels that deliver targeted results.
To ensure you’re making the best decisions for your pay per click campaigns, here are the most important do’s and don’ts for 2020.
Do’s When Creating a PPC Campaign
When setting up a PPC campaign, here are the things you’ll want to do to be successful:
- DO perform keyword research. Before setting up your ads, research the keywords you should be using to get the results you want. There are many tools you can use for keyword research, including Google’s own AdWords Keyword Tool. It’s free!
- DO categorize your keywords. Organize your keywords according to the theme and relevance of your particular target group. This will help you capture attention from a targeted audience.
- DO send your audience to a professionally-built website or landing page. Once a user clicks on your ad, send them to a relevant, professional web page or landing page. This will help improve your conversion rates.
- DO use geographic targeting. Unless you are trying to reach the world, it’s best to target audiences based on their geographic location. This is especially important if you are a local business.
- DO split test your ads. Your PPC campaign should include different variations of your ads and landing pages. As you learn what works best for your audience, you’ll save time and money by crafting better ads.
DON’TS When Creating a Pay Per Click Campaign
There are many great things you should do with your PPC campaigns, but there are also things you’ll want to avoid for the best results. Here are some examples:
- DON’T use generic keywords. Generic keywords are expensive and can prevent you from targeting a specific audience. Instead, use similar keyword phrases that will help you reach a targeted audience.
- DON’T send your traffic to a generic home page. It’s best to send PPC traffic to a targeted page so that you can keep them in the funnel. Sending them to a generic home page can waste a conversion.
- DON’T set it and forget it. Your pay per click advertising campaigns must be monitored. This way, you can improve and optimize your ads for the best results.
- DON’T ignore your landing pages. If you’re sending people to a landing page, make sure it is optimized. This should help visitors continue their actions whether it’s signing up for a newsletter or getting a coupon.
Pay per click campaigns are effective, but there are a lot of do’s and don’ts you’ll want to pay attention to. WSI Star Web Solutions builds and monitors PPC campaigns. Contact us today and we’ll be happy to determine the best strategies for reaching your goals.